Brain, one of the most complex human organs is the control centre of the body. It not only controls all the major body functions but also controls one’s emotions and expressions. Brain Injury is a term given to an injury when there occurs an insult to this complex human organ. With such a complexity, recovering from brain injury also requires an intricate treatment plan owing to its long-term effects and so is required an intensive physiotherapy rehabilitation for brain injury treatment.
At Overseas Rehabilitation Care, we provide quality brain injury rehabilitation in India at chosen few best neuro rehabilitation centres at highly effective cost. We have a pool of expert doctors and rehabilitation personnel and associate with the best brain injury rehabilitation centres to provide you with quality neurological rehabilitation in India.
Brain Injury Physiotherapy Rehabilitation
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) – It is the injury to brain by an external force leading to alteration in brain function or any other evident pathology of brain. Some of the causes of TBI can be Falls, Blow to the head, car accidents, sports injuries or physical abuse.
- Non-Traumatic Brain Injury – It is an injury to the brain caused by lack of oxygen or owing to some internal pressure on the brain. Non-traumatic brain injury causes can be stroke, tumor, aneurysms, infections, heart attacks etc.
Whether traumatic or non-traumatic, the symptoms of brain injury are majorly categorized into:
- Physical – Headaches, Mental & Physical fatigue, tremors, seizures, paralysis, sleep disorders, loss of consciousness, slurred speech are some of the common physical symptoms.
- Cognitive – They include shortened attention span, difficulty in processing information and expressing thoughts, impaired decision-making ability, memory loss etc.
- Perceptual – Change in vision, sense of touch or hearing, disorders of taste and smell, spatial disorientation, changed sensitivity to pain, balance issues etc.
- Behavioral – Sluggishness, irritability, reduced tolerance to stress, denial of disability, aggressiveness are some of the behavioral symptoms occurring after Brain Injury.
Diagnosing Traumatic Brain Injury requires clinical, neuropsychological and neuro-imaging findings such as CT Scans and MRIs. Though the diagnosis of TBI is primarily done by the physician, its specific deficits are diagnosed by an interdisciplinary team of doctors, nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech-language pathologists, social workers, teachers and employers.
The treatment of Brain Injury involves Medical Management where the doctor stabilizes the patient and makes sure that the brain gets proper flow of blood and oxygen and the blood pressure is controlled. For long-term recovery, the patients are given rehabilitation program which includes:
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech & Language Therapy
- Psychological Counseling
The recovery after Brain Injury varies from individual to individual and the extent of brain injury. Recovery after TBI is seen in months and years after the brain injury. Some of the common indicators which determine the prognosis are:
- Duration of Coma – Prognosis is better in cases of coma
- Age – Patients under age 2 and above 60 have the worst prognosis
- Post traumatic Amnesia
Brain Injury Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation is referred to the specialized services offered following brain injury and during its early stage of treatment. Rehabilitation following Brain injury has two main processes – one, to restore restorable functions and secondly, to learn how to perform functions differently in case the functions can’t be restored.
Brain Injury Rehabilitation in India may be provided within the hospital or on outpatient basis or on community level. The specialized services provided to the patient are as per the unique needs of each individual.
The specific services given to the patient include:
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech & Language Therapy
- Neurobehavioral & Neuropsychological Therapy
- Vocational Rehabilitation
The rehabilitation process after brain injury starts with conducting tests that determine what all areas of the brain are affected and need which type of intervention. Based on the needs of the patient, specific rehabilitation treatment is designed. The period of rehabilitation for each patient is different and depends upon the severity of injury. It may vary from weeks or months to years and even may last for one’s entire life. While it is believed that the process of rehabilitation should start as early as possible following the injury; however each individual’s recovery is different such that some people keep on recovering year after year once their rehabilitation is started.
The outcomes expected from rehabilitation after brain injury vary widely as each individual’s injury is different and each person responds differently to rehab therapy given at the best brain injury rehabilitation centres in India. However, certain outcomes are expected after brain Injury rehabilitation such as:
- Attainment of medical stability
- Maintaining behavioral stability
- Attainment of daily functions and improvement in skills of speech and mobility
- Improvement in lost functions such as memory by cognitive therapy
- Enhance skills of socialization to interact with family and friends
- Enable patient to participate in home life and other activities
- Improve patient’s Quality of Life
Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation after brain injury requires an interdisciplinary team approach for providing comprehensive care to the patient. At ORC, we have a pool of expert neuro rehabilitation personnel at the best brain injury rehabilitation centres in India who are highly qualified and have years of experience in handling complicated brain injury cases. They follow the team approach for providing individualized care to patients. Not only do they follow the best rehabilitation practices but also provide follow-up care.
At ORC, our major goals of Brain Injury Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation are :
- To make the patient as responsive as possible
- To make new cognitive and behavioural strategies in case of any deficits
- To enhance mobility and skills for performing the physical function
- To overcome the social and psychological barriers which interfere in making the patient independent at home or workplace and in the community.
3 Easy steps to FREE opinion and treatment advice from the best rehabilitation
experts in India:
Step1– Send us your latest medical reports at for a free consult with the best rehabilitation experts in India.
Step2– Our case manager will get back to you with a free opinion and cost estimates from our rehabilitation experts
within 48 hours.
Step3– Overseas Rehabilitation Care(ORC) will help you plan and facilitate your treatment, stay, travel within India
and all your appointments with our rehab experts in India.